‘Coronavirus and Me’ – young people’s views needed to plan for our future.
21 May 2020
Children and young people across Neath Port Talbot are being urged to take part in a Wales-wide survey taking in their views on the Coronavirus pandemic.
Named Coronavirus and Me – the survey is for children and young people in Wales aged seven to 18 and will help inform the Welsh Government's approach to tackling Coronavirus both during and after the pandemic.
Coronavirus and Me has been put together jointly by the Welsh Government, the Children’s Commissioner for Wales, Children in Wales and the Youth Parliament for Wales / Senedd Ieuenctid Cymru.
The survey arrives after Neath Port Talbot’s Youth Council petitioned the Welsh Government by letter three weeks ago pointing out it was crucially important young people should be consulted on the current pandemic.
The Youth Council letter also requested the Welsh Government to speak directly to children and young people in a special broadcast about the impacts of Coronavirus on them and their loved ones and on their future.
The Leader of Neath Port Talbot Council, Cllr Rob Jones said: “Young people across Neath Port Talbot have been going through immense changes over the past few months.
“Some are children of key workers too and it has been recognised how much young people across Neath Port Talbot have contributed to the ‘stay at home’ advice which has been massively important.
“It is crucial young voices in Neath Port Talbot are heard and doing this survey will help contribute to key decision making across Wales for everyone’s future – so please give it a go!”
Things to note about Coronavirus and Me;
• You don’t give your name.
• It is a great opportunity to think and talk about your emotions and challenges if you want to.
• It doesn’t take long (around 15 minutes but it gives you time to think about the situation and release some ideas and emotions).
• It has been written by many people who want to help young people but you need to help them to help plan for everyone’s future.
• You can skip questions if you wish.
• You have the option to share your emotions and experiences too.
• There are no right or wrong answers.
• It closes on 27th May but the sooner young people reply the quicker decisions can help shape futures.
• The survey can be done in Welsh, English or in picture form.
Survey link here: https://www.childcomwales.org.uk/coronavirusandme/
If you’re feeling worried or low and want to talk to someone about how you're feeling, please get in touch with: Meic Cymru - 080880 23456 or Childline - 0800 1111.
For more info and advice and support go to www.childcomwales.org.uk/coronavirus/