Household waste recycling centres – thank you!
This article is more than 4 months old
09 June 2020
Neath Port Talbot Council is thanking residents using its re-opened Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) for their patience and for sticking to the new safety guidelines in place.
The centres re-opened to the public on Tuesday, May 26th with significant safety measures to help maintain the safety and welfare of staff and visitors to the sites.
Under the new arrangements, visitors must book a slot (www.npt.gov.uk/recyclingcentres) before visiting the Cymmer and Briton Ferry HWRCs while residents in the Swansea Valley area using the HWRC at Lower Cwmtwrch should continue to check revised procedures there before visiting (www.powys.gov.uk/article/725/Household-Waste-Recycling-Centres).
So far, Neath Port Talbot Council has dealt with more than 5,000 bookings.
From now on, slots at Cymmer and Briton Ferry will last for 15 minutes instead of 20, to ensure many more slots can be booked.
Neath Port Talbot Council’s Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Streetscene and Engineering, Cllr Ted Latham, said: “We’d like to thank our residents using HWRCs for adhering to the new rules and for being patient.
“The booking system has been working well and we’re changing from 20-minute to 15-minute slots so we can get more visitors at our sites.”
In the interests of public safety, people are being asked only to arrange to use HWRCs if they are no longer able to safely store the excess waste at home.
For those visiting the Council’s HWRCs for the first time it will be immediately apparent it no longer “business as usual” because of the new safety measures and rules in place – all for reasons of public safety.
• You must have booked a 15 minute slot using our online booking system before your visit
• Respect staff whilst on or waiting to access the site
• Proof of residency will be required
• Only one person per vehicle will generally be allowed. If this is not possible, only one person should exit the vehicle
• Staff will provide direction and advice in line with social distancing guidelines. They will not be able to help with unloading
• Parking bays will be closed off on an alternating basis to achieve social distancing
• Extra signage and barriers will be in place to help enforce social distancing
• The Re-use Shop will be closed
• To speed up access, only cars, MPVs and 4x4s (Pick-ups are not classed as 4x4) will be allowed on site.
• No trailers or vans will be allowed except:
• Vans with rear seats and rear side windows used as MPVS are ok (e.g. transporter type vehicles, camper vans, Family mini bus).
• Vans adapted for disabled passengers are ok
• Vans with seats but no windows i.e. not converted for family use will not be allowed access
If you need to cancel or amend your booking please let us know as soon as you can so we can offer the slot to another customer. Please contact us on 01639 686868 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need your booking reference number.