Mayor’s Covid Response Awards – the winners
This article is more than 4 months old
25 March 2022
The Mayor of Neath Port Talbot's Covid Response Awards took place on Thursday, March 24th, 2022) in the beautiful surroundings of Margam Country Park’s Orangery.
The awards were designed to recognise and reward the outstanding contributions of individuals, groups and organisations in our community during the Covid-19 pandemic.
The main sponsor for the awards ceremony was John Pye Auctions. Here are the winners:
- Health & Wellbeing Award - Run4All Neath for organising a running club to help the physical and mental wellbeing of residents throughout COVID-19. Presented by Louise Fleet, Lord Lieutenant of West Glamorgan
- Supporting Education Award - Gemma Ness and Vicky Hibben for running the ‘Learning Hub’ for vulnerable children and the children of keyworkers throughout lockdown.
- Business in the Community Award - Bleddyn Howells Family Butcher for continuing to support local food banks, nursing homes and sports groups during the pandemic. Presented by the Mayoress of Neath Port Talbot, Mrs Lesley Warman.
- Young Volunteer Award - Dewi Rhys Morgan for collecting and delivering prescriptions to those who were shielding and unable to leave their home during the pandemic (Collected by Rhiannon Powell on behalf of Dewi). Presented by Bethan Nicholas-Thomas, Deputy Youth Mayor of Neath Port Talbot.
- Good Neighbour Award - Jo Barness for supporting people to get essential shopping supplies during the pandemic. Presented by John Pye Auctions.
- Good Neighbour Award - Cheryl Rees for helping elderly residents during lockdown and arranging numerous street parties to keep people’s spirits up. Presented by John Pye Auctions.
- Individual Community Champion Award - Yvonne Davies for running a food bank for over ten years and distributing food parcels to those in need during the pandemic (collected by Vicky Rawlinson on behalf of Yvonne). Presented by Leanne Jones, Deputy Leader of Neath Port Talbot Council.
- Community Champion Group Award - Canolfan Maerdy for playing a key role in NPT’s Safe and Well Scheme by helping with childcare for key workers and vulnerable children, and providing food boxes for those in need. Presented by Karen Jones, Chief Executive Neath Port Talbot Council.
- Special Recognition Award - F.A.N Community Alliance for establishing a team of street champions and helping people with shopping, medication pick-ups and being a safety net for people. Presented by the Mayor of Neath Port Talbot, Cllr John Warman.
At the awards ceremony, compered by Sean Holley, the Mayor and Mayoress, Cllr John Warman and Mrs Lesley Warman were joined by special guests including, Her Majesty’s Lord Lieutenant of West Glamorgan, Mrs Louise Fleet, The High Sheriff of West Glamorgan, Joanna Jenkins, Deputy Leader of Neath Port Talbot Council, Cllr Leanne Jones, our Youth Mayor Bethan Nicholas-Thomas, Stephen Kinnock MP, Senedd Member for South Wales West, Sioned Williams and Jonathan Beasley from event sponsors John Pye Auctions.
Mayor Cllr Warman said as the awards ceremony began: “These awards were set up to give residents here in Neath Port Talbot the opportunity to nominate people or groups who really made a difference in our communities during the toughest of times we have ever lived through.
“I have to say, the response was incredible and we were knocked out by the sheer number of nominations that came in. The judging panel, of which I was a part, had the most difficult time deciding on who to invite here today. It really was a humbling experience reading through the submissions.
“I’m sure those nominated for these awards are the kind of people who would normally shy away from being singled out for special recognition. That said, these awards aim to thank, recognise and reward their hard work and commitment over the past 2 years …whether they like it or not!”